Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm Bringing Back the Carnation!







The word carnation has such a negative stereotype associated with it, especially in the bridal world. When you mention the carnation during a bridal consultation you usually quickly see the look of disgust or shock come over the bride.  I remember being that person not so long ago and I have come to believe that the reason I hated the carnation so much in the past was due to the way it was used (think a dozen carnations with babies breath...yuck!).   Why do I love them now?  They add texture, are available in a stunning array of colours and are easy on the pocketbook. 

If I feel that the use of a carnation in a ceremony arrangement would be a good way to add a punch of colour without breaking the bank, I usually pull up pictures of my work which contain the "dreaded" bloom.  Most of the time brides can't even believe there is a carnation hiding in that arrangement.  Here are a few examples:
Massing of moonvista carnations, bells of Ireland and curly willow

Carnations make excellent pomander balls.  Use them for the flower girl, hanging on sheppherds hooks down the aisle, or create a statement in your ceremony arrangements!
Don't get me wrong, carnations aren't just for centerpieces or ceremony arrangements either.  Here they are front and center in (gasp) the bridal bouquet:

Nataschia Wielink Photography Blog Photo
Same dark purple moonvista carnation, completely different bouquets
Next time I will bring you the story of the commercial mum (I hear florists groaning everywhere).  

Melanie

1 comment:

  1. Melanie,

    I went to the Philadelphia Flower Show the other day. You would be proud! Carnations were used throughout the exhibits. I took some pictures for you. I will send them your way.

    ReplyDelete